Friday 18 September 2009

Premium flying at reduced prices: well sometimes



Up until recently I was feeling very pleased with my record of flying in the comfy seats at less than many fellow passengers were paying.


In the space of a few years I have become known as Mr Upgrade to some of my friends.


First there was an upgrade from premium economy to business class on a flight with Virgin. This came out of the blue, no pressuring the nice woman (she was a woman) on the desk about availability up at the front, it was just offerred.


Then came the best and most memorable upgrade, from business to first with South African Airways. It was all the more enjoyable because we nearly missed the flight altogether. Our lateness had caused a mix up on a very busy flight and we arrived at our allocated seats to find someone sitting in them. It was a young couple who were very much in love (and making it obvious to everyone's annoyance). They were offered an upgrade to first class if they moved, but told they would not be able to sit right next to each other. Just as I was thinking why didn't you ask us, they declined, because they could't bear to disintagle themselves from oneanother. We were asked the same question and we calmy replied that we would accept. I wanted to cartwheel all the way to first class and this was before the copious amounts of champagne.


Last year there was a price war between Virgin and BA. I got a third off the price of a normal ticket. I was able to do this because I had noticed that periodically airlines have sales drive and drastically reduce prices for a limited period and kept a look out.


The next big trip is to South Africa and Zambia with a friend. We decided to book the time off work and wait for a sale. The sale came a few weeks ago. Not quite as good as we would have liked, but we booked. A few days later the sale improved. Arrrrrgh. So annoying.


The lesson is be as flexible as you can about when you travel and keep watching those prices. By doing this it is possible to have a reasonably good understanding of how low prices can fall for your chosen route and come to a judgement about whther it is a good time to buy your ticket. I knew tickets were likely to come down further, but we were keen to book.


Part of me says put this occasion into context, the other that I really should have known better.

No comments: